POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : #include, animations, : Re: #include, animations, Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:18:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #include, animations,
From: Skywise
Date: 5 Jun 2006 04:31:12
Message: <4483ebd0@news.povray.org>
"PM 2Ring" <nomail@nomail> wrote in news:web.4482d7ee6c88dcbf76ba2c900
@news.povray.org:

<Snipola>
> Your code looks fine. I'm just guessing, but I think it may be a memory
> issue.

That's what I'm thinking. Although the parse time stays the same
low 0-1 second time, I don't think the program is releasing the
include data from the previous frames, and it's muffing up the
renderer somehow.

These scenes only have up to tens of thousands of spheres. If it
were a matter of each successive frame rendering all the data
of the previous frames, why then does the render time increase
so rapidly?

Here's the render time in seconds of the first few frames along
with the number of spheres in each frame:

frame - time - spheres
  1   -   1  - 0
  2   -   4  - 92
  3   -   9  - 200
  4   -  15  - 352
  5   -  22  - 502
  6   -  27  - 579
  7   -  33  - 678
  8   -  40  - 774
  9   -  54  - 900
 10   -  61  - 984

So even if the 10th frame was rendering it's own plus the previous
9 frames spheres, that's only 5,061 spheres, which should still take
only a second or two. One of the more complex frames, with over
13,000 spheres, only takes 4 seconds if I render it on it's own.

It seems like an obvious bug, unless my code isn't right. From other
programming experience, there are times where things don't work the
way they look like they should work. That could be the case here and
to do what I want should be implemented differently.

Try using #undef to get rid of the data from each scene before

I may not be understanding your intent. It seems #undef only works
on a variable. What should I be #undef'ing?

Another thing, if I could just get POVRay to not pause so darned
long between entries in the render queue, this really wouldn't be
an issue. Queing a list of files that takes minutes to render, the
5 second delay between files isn't a big deal. But since my files
only take a second or two to render, this delay has great impact
on my total render time.

Hmmm....maybe this isn't such a newbie problem afterall? Perhaps
this should be moved to a different POVRay newsgroup?

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?